As Independence nears we all start to feel a little more patriotic. The colors of Antigua are splashed on every tree and pole but the best part of it, is the food! It’s the perfect time to get some good local food. Go ahead indulge in some Antiguan specialties and favorites if its in abundance you might as well enjoy. Look out for recipes this week it’s not only good to eat but also to learn and pass on.
* 900 g sweet potatoes, finely grated
* 1 small coconut, finely grated
* 55 g plain flour
* 85 g caster sugar
* ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
* ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
* 30 g softened butter
1. Mix the sweet potato, coconut, flour, sugar and spices in a large bowl. Stir in the butter to make a sticky paste.
2. Lay out a piece of tin foil on a work surface and tip enough mixture to make a rectangle about 5cm by 3cm, and 2cm high. Wrap the tin foil around it to create a sealed packet. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
3. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Carefully drop the ducana parcels into the water and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the pan and unwrap before serving.